Saturday, June 16, 2007

my secret ambition!

a while ago, i remember blogging about jimmy telling me that i should open an "asian" swim school because there are so many asians who cant swim and make us lifeguards jump in to safe them. i took it as a joke then because i thought "that's so ridiculous! why the heck would i open an ASIAN swim school?!"

i thought about what jimmy told me and i realised that since i've started working at LEP, cases where lifeguards had to jump in involved asian swimmers. i have had a few 'scares' myself, no thanks to asian swimmers as well, which is pretty upsetting.

that same night after jimmy's suggestion, i told my mum what had happened while i was at work and what jimmy had suggested to me. my mum thought it was a brilliant idea but i was still rather hesitant about it. i know i like teaching kids to swim and see the results at the end of it, BUT it's different when you teach kids how to swim occasionally AND teaching 'em little monsters EVERYDAY!

my mum then spoke to my dad about that idea, and my dad was rather keen about it. they all know how much i enjoy teaching kids how to swim and etc., so the following day, my mum continued the conversation with me and told me that she spoke to my dad and that he's quite keen on the idea. dad thinks that it will be successful if it's managed properly, and in the right location, offering the right kind of service to the people in the community (wah, i suddenly feel so mature typing that sentence!! LOL).

anyway, i told dad that i wouldnt mind teaching and running a swim school as long as he starts it up for me - i dont have the finance for it you see. so he said to me "concentrate on your studies first, and we can talk about this when you're done" to which i said "ok! when i come back from travelling overseas, you can fund my business. teehee!"

since then, i've thought a lot about it and with each passing day, i can actually see myself running a swim school and training young teachers how to teach swimming. and i'm actually looking forward to making that a dream come true :) i've basically decided that i dont want to work in food science field, because i reckon it'll be boring, especially after discovering how much i enjoy when i work with kids.

i used to think that i'm not the kind of person who has the patience to work with wee ones, but i was proven wrong time and time again, when i was teaching little kids how to swim. often, when i'm lifeguarding the lap pool at work, i'd rather offer help to teach kids who are trying to dive or trying to improve their technique. at times, i also explain certain techniques to adults who looks like they would appreciate some help (not all appreciate it) and i've had a lot of people thanking me at the end of the day for correcting them or teaching them..and that's what i like. i like to feel appreciated after doing something for people, but what's better is to see how they've improved.

so there you go. my secret ambition is to be a swimming teacher and to run my own swimming school, and not to be a food scientist :p dont ask me why i'm studying food science and not childhood education or sports and recreation or something. i dont know the answer to that question!

until today, it's only a PLAN, so dont come knocking on the door to ask me how to swim ok!

and dont laugh :p

1 comment:

Lakisha Schillaci said...

I'm not quite sure if you were able to push through with your dream. If you did, then I'm certain that you've been successful in doing what you love to do. If you haven't started yet, then it's never too late! Giving swimming lessons, like anything else, takes time and dedication. And since you love kids, it wouldn't be hard for you, would it?

 
eXTReMe Tracker