Wednesday, August 08, 2007

car crash

last night, i was involved in a car crash which was quite bad. but we're all really lucky and blessed that NONE of us were injured, other than minor cuts and bruises. my sisters and i were on our way to the swimming pool.

i reversed my car out of my driveway, but the street was quite busy so i didn't bother to cut across to lanes. so i reversed out onto the street, and made a turn through Eastern Beach Rd coz it's easier to get onto the other side of the road through there.

along Eastern Beach Rd, there's a really small roundabout and it's usually pretty quiet there. i slowed down as i was approaching the give way sign, and went onto the roundabout because the streets were clear. all of a sudden, as i was turning, i saw a flash of light from the passenger side window so i took a quick look on the left. before i could even see where the source of light is coming from, a car was in front of me all of a sudden and i could see damages done to it.

my wee sister on the back was whimpering slightly, and before i could do or say anything, my car moved forward again and i hit the back of the other car. i was so shaky when it finally registered in my mind that we're all in a car crash. i checked if my sisters were alright, took a deep breath and walked out of the car. i saw the damages done to the front of my car. the whole bonnet and bumper were folded in, and the bumper was on the verge of falling off.

the engine was making some strange noise, as if some air was leaking out. we drove our car forward so we wont block the other people going past that street. after that, a passer-by stopped to check that we're all alright, and when we confirmed we're ok, she left.

the driver of the other car is a friend's mum. her car is dented and scratched where my car had hit her, but her damages are really nothing compared to my car. i was on the verge of crying seeing my car in that state, and i started worrying about all the inconveniences. but the stronger part of me told me that i shouldn't cry, because it's not going to solve anything, and the main thing is that no one was injured or hurt.

my sis rang my parents, and they came to where we were. the accident happened pretty close to our house so they came really quickly. i left my parents to talk to Aunty to sort things out, and i just stood aside to stop being so shaky. after a while, i joined them and we just talked things out.

we left my car by the street, and went home to ring up the insurance company. Aunty admitted that the first impact was caused by her, because she didn't stop at the roundabout to give way to me. in fact, she said that she didn't even see my car coming that's why she went onto the roundabout without stopping. however, her insurance company is putting the liability on me for the 2nd impact, which i think is rather unfair because the 2nd impact wouldn't have happened without the 1st impact happening.

no doubt, i was the one who knocked the back of her car, but i was in such a state of shock, i wasn't thinking straight. the first impact was really strong, that my whole body got thrown forward and my head almost hit the steering wheel, while my sister's glasses flew away from her face. i dont know how fast Aunty was going, but i know i wasn't going fast seeing how narrow the roundabout is, and also i already slowed down before going onto the roundabout. Aunty was going straight at the roundabout, so i'm not sure if she slowed down.

this morning, i received a call from Aunty and she said that i should be the one giving way to her. in nz, the give way rules is that give way to the right, which basically means that give way to cars which will cross your path. which also means that i had the right of way on the roundabout. BESIDES, i was on the roundabout already before she even got to the give way sign. i was rather angry at her statement, for pushing the blame onto me, so i told Aunty to speak to my dad instead.

my dad said the same thing which came to my mind - i was on the roundabout already, so Aunty should wait for me to go around the roundabout before driving onto the roundabout herself. AND, because it's a roundabout, i have the right of way. Aunty also said that there is a double WHITE line on the street i was coming from, and a single white line on the street she was coming from. apparently, according to her, there was no give way sign on her street, so she had the right of way since she is going straight.

i was rather doubtful about that so mum and i took a drive down to the roundabout to observe. no doubt that i had a double WHITE line, and her street had a single WHITE line, BUT both streets had a give way sign written on the road, and a GIVE WAY sign on the side of the street. i'm not too sure if a double white line and a single white line makes any difference, but in my opinion, they're all give way signs so i should still have my right of way.

i haven't heard anything since then. i'm still waiting to hear from the insurance company whose fault it is for the 2nd impact. and i'm waiting to hear from the workshop that my car got towed to, to see if they have a courtesy car that i can use. dad said that my car will most likely be written off due to all the damages done. the whole bumper and bonnet was folded in (imagine squashing a tin can with a big hammer) so they probably cant do much to fix the car.

i'm still pretty upset about the whole accident, but my mum keeps reminding me that we're all safe and that's the most important thing. i guess it's true, coz she had all 3 daughters in the car, and it was a huge chance that one of us would be dead, or lying in the hospital or something bad. Aunty had a Honda Odyssey which is much bigger compared to me little Mazda Familia.

hopefully everything will be sorted soon so i wont feel crippled without a car.

ps: thanks to everyone who txt to ask if i was ok, and thanks for listening to me blabber.

pss: everyone at work who knew about the accident sent me really nice txts and kept asking if i was ok. trent even said he was gonna come visit me to bring me something to cheer me up. LOL, he's such a sweety :D

psss: thank you stefan for wanting to come visit me too!

No comments:

 
eXTReMe Tracker