Saturday, August 18, 2007

and a FREAK accident it was..

today while at work, i was doing my usual stuff, walking along poolside and watching my pool. but later in the afternoon, it got a bit busier and we had to close one of the pools due to pool fouling, so everyone moved over to the lap pool. we had to remove one lane rope to accommodate all the kids playing in that pool.

i was watching the deep end of the pool coz all the kids were jumping/ bombing/ trying to dive/ diving and i didnt want any spinal injuries to happen so i kept reminding the kids not to do this and that.

while busy talking to the kids beside the pool, this kid was running along and knocked into me. i was squatting at the side of the pool, so i lost my balance and fell straight in to the pool. and everyone started laughing at me -.-" i had to come out all soaking and dripping wet from head to toe, walk out to the reception area to look for dry uniform, all along bumping into colleagues asking me what happened and who have i rescued.

*sigh* the humiliation...

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

ok that's not the actual story. the first and second paragraphs from above are true, but i was actually talking to another colleague of mine when i saw this elderly lady hanging onto the lane rope. we dont like it when people hang onto the lane ropes as it lengthen the lane ropes and they might snap as well, or sometimes end up cutting other swimmers, so i walked over to her. on my way there, i saw that she was starting to struggle a little, as both her legs were already coming up and she was holding on real tightly on the lane ropes. i asked her if she was ok, and she made some hand motions that i didnt quite understand (non-english speaker..oh great...). so i went around the pool, and told her to try to put her legs down and then move along the lane rope to the wall so i can pull her up. she shook her head and did the same hand motion again.

my colleague was standing beside me at that time, so i told her i'll jump in to get her since she refused to move, and our pole ain't long enough to reach her. i took off my shoes (yes yes i had time to save my shoes first :D ) and i dived in (but i think i did a small belly flop). anyway, i did a cross chest tow on her, and she fucking started struggling. and she's bigger and fatter than me -.-"

so i used both hands on her to stop her from struggling so much, and did my stupid side-stroke to the wall and got my colleague to help pull her up. while my colleague was trying to pull her up, she was still holding onto me (her arm was entwined on my shoulder!!!), so my poor colleague was basically pulling both of us out, so obviously she failed. i then told my colleague to let her go, and i took her hand off while trying to keep both of us afloat with her struggling hard out.

i managed to get rid her for a second, then another colleague came along, so they both pulled her from the side of the pool while i supported her weight while water treading. and then my colleagues checked if she's ok and everything, and i had kids coming up to me saying "oh here's your sock. i found it at the bottom of the pool" and "your keys. they came out when you jumped in.." and "*giggles* here's your lip balm!"

-_______________-

so off i was, looking for dry uniform, and the only one available was Deidre's spare, so i took it, then went to the laundry room (which is also the lost property) and stripped myself and chucked all my stuff into the dryer, and stood there naked but wrapped with a towel, and all the time worrying that someone might come knocking or my colleague will unlock the door with their keys.

didnt wait for long before i put my undies and bra back on, and they were still wet. felt gross. but i left my uniform and socks in to dry for longer, and went back to get them later on.

and that's my first proper rescue since i started working. i'm glad i didnt get my shoes wet :D

maybe....my streak of bad luck doesn't just end at the 3rd mishap. hmmmm..........

No comments:

 
eXTReMe Tracker